This article provides advice on how to repair a leaking kitchen tap. Dealing with a constantly dripping kitchen tap can be really frustrating. The good news is that our expert advice can help you stop that annoying dripping. Most kitchen taps in homes have one spout and separate controls for hot and cold water, which we call mixer taps. When you have those stubborn leaks or annoying drips, they’re often caused by a damaged rubber seal or washer. Before you start fixing anything, it’s super important to make sure your water supply is turned off safely. You can do this by using a stopcock or isolation valve. We’ve created easy-to-follow guides below to help you with various problems your kitchen tap might have, like leaks, drips, or other bothersome issues. With our guidance, you’ll have your faucet working like new in no time!
How Does a Simple Tap Work
If you want to know how to repair a leaking kitchen tap, then understanding how your tap operates is key to resolving issues more efficiently. Household taps primarily consist of a valve controlling water flow and a washer or ceramic disk. Some taps use washers, while others opt for ceramic disks. A quarter or half-turn rotation often indicates the use of ceramic disks. When you turn on the tap, it lifts the washer from the valve, allowing water to flow; turning it off tightens the washer, stopping water flow. This grasp of the operation empowers you to diagnose and address issues, ensuring your kitchen tap works smoothly. While tap designs may vary, the fundamental principles remain consistent. Design differences mainly pertain to aesthetics and style.
- Handle or Knob: The tap has a handle or knob that you can turn to control the flow of water. When you turn the handle, you are essentially adjusting the internal components that allow water to flow or stop.
- Valve: Inside the tap, there is a valve that controls the flow of water. When the handle is turned, it either lifts or lowers the valve. There are different types of valves, such as rubber washers or ceramic disks, used in various taps.
- Water Supply: Behind the wall or under the sink, there are water supply pipes that connect to the tap. These pipes carry water to the tap when it is turned on.
- Spout: The spout is the part of the tap from which the water flows. When the valve is opened, water is allowed to pass through the spout and exit into the sink or basin.
How to Repair a Leaking Monoblock Kitchen Tap
What is a Monoblock Kitchen Tap
Monobloc taps are a popular choice. They feature a single spout and a single lever or two separate handles to control both hot and cold water. They are easy to install and provide a streamlined, contemporary look.
Leakage from Monoblock Tap Spout
Spotting a leak in your monoblock kitchen tap is quite easy – you’ll likely hear that annoying, constant dripping sound into your sink. It can be pretty frustrating. If you see your tap still dripping when it’s supposed to be fully closed or if it makes a strange vibrating noise when you turn it on, the problem is often because the ceramic disk cartridge inside is worn out. If you don’t fix it soon, the issue can get worse over time.
To deal with this problem, you must first turn off the water supply at the stopcock or the closest shut-off valve before you start any repairs. To get to the ceramic disk, you’ll need to take your tap apart carefully. When you put in new parts, make sure they’re the same size as the old ones to ensure a proper fit.
Also, be on the lookout for worn O-rings, as they can also cause leaks. If you spot one that’s worn out during your inspection, it’s a good idea to replace it promptly. This will help keep your monoblock kitchen tap working well and prevent any more leaks.
Leakage from Monoblock Tap Handle
If you notice water seeping between the spout and handle of your monoblock kitchen tap, the culprit may well be a worn-out O-ring nestled inside the spout. To resolve this issue, you’ll need to replace the problematic O-ring.
Want to Buy New Ceramic Disc Cartridges?
- Measure the cartridge diameter: Measure the diameter of the existing cartridge or the opening where it sits. Common sizes are 25mm, 35mm, 40mm, 45mm, and 47mm.
- Check the cartridge type: Different taps may require specific types of ceramic disc cartridges, such as quarter-turn cartridges. Consult the tap manufacturer’s instructions or contact them for the specific cartridge type.
- Purchase from a reputable supplier: Buy the correct ceramic disc cartridge. You can buy a common ceramic disc cartridge from the Amazon store. But make sure you measure first to ensure it will fit your tap.
How to Repair a Leaking Dual-Lever Kitchen Tap
What is a Dual-Lever Kitchen Tap
These taps have two separate levers, one for hot water and the other for cold. They offer precise control over water temperature and flow. Dual-lever mixer taps come in various styles, including traditional and modern.
Leakage from Dual-Lever Tap Spout
When water is dripping from the spout of your dual-lever kitchen tap even when it’s turned off, the issue is often related to the internal components, specifically the washer or ceramic disc. To fix this, start by turning off the water supply at the nearest stopcock or shut-off valve. Carefully disassemble the tap to access the washer or ceramic disc, and ensure that the replacement matches the size of the original for a proper fit. Reassemble the tap, and the leak should be resolved.
Leakage from Dual-Lever Tap Handle
If you notice water seeping between the handle and the tap body, it’s likely due to a worn O-ring within the handle mechanism. To address this, you’ll need to dismantle the handle carefully. Replace the damaged O-ring with a new one of the same size, ensuring a snug fit. Reassemble the handle, and the leakage issue should be resolved. Remember to turn off the water supply before starting any repair work to ensure a safe and successful fix for your dual-lever kitchen tap.
Want to Buy New Tap Washers?
- Measure the washer size: Measure the diameter of the existing washers or the opening where the washers sit. This will help you determine the correct size of the replacement washers. Common sizes in the UK are 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch.
- Purchase from a reputable supplier: Buy the correct washers from a reputable supplier. Amazon sell an assorted tap washer pack.